My AVG was throwing a fit today. I was bombarded continually with requests to reboot my PC in order to “finalize” an update. So I reboot, it asked me again, I rebooted again, it asked me again… I suddenly felt a moment of déjà vu. I had run into something like this with AVG back in ’09. Here is how I fixed it:
- Download AVG Free 2011 (you can do so here)
- Run the .exe (“avg_free_stb_all_2011_1170_cnet.exe” in this case)
- When prompted to proceed, do so.
- Select “Add or Remove Features” and continue
- Click next (to approve that random code thing they give you)
- Leave your destination folder at default, click next (unless, of course, you have your AVG in another directory)
- AVG will install the missing data needed
- Restart your PC when prompted
- That bothersome reboot message shouldn’t appear anymore!
I’m only throwing this up because I didn’t run across anyone telling how to fix this (yes I looked >_>). Anyway, I think it has something to with the AVG updater not downloading all the files needed for it to finish updating… or something to that effect.